23 DEC 2014
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
Range Rover Sport (LS)
Model Year: 2006-2013
Cause: This may be caused by a lack of lubrication of the steering gear pinion seal.
NOTE: check the vehicle history to see if the vehicle falls within the affected VIN range in Technical Bulletin LTB00021NAS and whether or not it has been performed. If it has not been performed, follow the Repair Procedure outlined in that bulletin as a separate Warranty claim and recheck for a ‘squeak’ before performing this bulletin. This Service Instruction addresses a ‘squeak’ noise only.
Action: Should a customer express this concern, follow the Service Instruction outlined below.
|QFX500090||Additive – Lubrizol||Quantity: 50ml (1 container)|
|LR003401||Power Steering Fluid – Pentosin CHF 202 Power Steering fluid||Quantity: 2L|
Refer to Workshop Manual for any required special tools.
NOTE: Repair procedures are under constant review, and therefore times are subject to change; those quoted here must be taken as guidance only. Always refer to TOPIx to obtain the latest repair time.
NOTE: DDW requires the use of causal part numbers. Labor only claims must show the causal part number with a quantity of zero.
|DESCRIPTION||SRO||TIME (HOURS)||CONDITION CODE||CAUSAL PART|
|Flush and replace the Power Steering fluid with additive||220.127.116.11||0.4||42||LR031744|
NOTE: Normal Warranty procedures apply.
NOTE: this Service Instruction must be carried out in conjunction with SSM72094, which contains a video clip demonstrating the procedure (steps 14-21). Suitable temperature monitoring equipment will be required to enable the steering fluid’s temperature to be maintained within the range specified in the Service Instruction.
1. Remove the Power Steering fluid reservoir cap.
2. Using a syringe, remove the Power Steering fluid from the reservoir.
- Release but do not remove the Power Steering reservoir.
- Release the Power Steering return hose from the reservoir.
3. Cap the Power Steering reservoir return pipe using a suitable plug.
4. Attach a suitable pipe to the Power Steering return hose to allow fluid to drain
5. WARNING: do not work on or under a vehicle supported only by a jack. Always support the vehicle on safety stands
Raise and support the vehicle
6. CAUTION: do not run the engine as damage to the Power Steering system may occur.
Turn the steering lock-to-lock 10 times and allow the fluid to drain into a suitable container.
7. NOTE: The flush process will require approximately 0.75 liter of the specified Power Steering fluid to complete.
Flush the Power Steering system.
- Fill the Power Steering fluid reservoir with Pentosin CHF 202 fluid.
- Turn the steering lock-to-lock 10 times.
- Allow the fluid to drain.
8. Install the Power Steering reservoir
- Remove and discard the blanking plug.
- Fit the Power Steering reservoir return hose.
9. NOTE: the Lubrizol additive may only be added once.
Add the 50ml Lubrizol additive to the Power Steering fluid reservoir.
10. Fill and bleed the Power Steering system using the correct specification fluid (see TOPIx Workshop Manual, section 211-00).
11. Clean / degrease the Power Steering fluid reservoir adjacent to the MIN/MAX marks.
12. NOTE: the ‘Pentosin CHF 202’ label must be installed to identify that Lubrizol and Pentosin CHF 202 has been added to the Power Steering system for any required future repair / maintenance.
Apply the ‘Pentosin CHF 202’ label (included with the Lubrizol additive packaging) adjacent to the Power Steering system fluid reservoir MIN/MAX marks.
13. Remove the Power Steering fluid reservoir cap an insert a suitable temperature probe into the fluid reservoir.
Refer to SSM72094 for a demonstration of steps 14-21.
14. NOTE: the steering maneuver should be carried out on a hard, flat surface outside of the workshop with the suspension set to standard on-road height.
NOTE: the following should be carried out after referring to the video clip; see top of Service Instruction for details.
Start the engine.
16. Raise the engine speed to 2,000 rev/min and monitor the temperature until 100° +/- 5° C is achieved.
17. CAUTION: do not hold steering at full lock for longer than two (2) seconds with the Power Steering fluid temperature at 100° +/- 5° C as this may cause damage.
- From full lock, turn the steering wheel rapidly back ¼-turn to the left.
- Repeat this step eight (8) times.
18. CAUTION: do not hold steering at full lock for longer than two (2) seconds with the Power Steering fluid temperature at 100° +/- 5° C as this may cause damage.
- From full lock, turn the steering wheel rapidly back ¼-turn to the right.
- Repeat this step eight (8) times.
20. Remove the temperature probe from the fluid reservoir.
21. Install the Power Steering fluid reservoir cap.
22. Road test the vehicle to verify the ‘squeak’ noise is no longer evident.
- If the ‘squeak’ noise is no longer evident, no further action is required. Return the vehicle to the customer.
- If the ‘squeak’ noise is still evident, repeat steps 13-22 up to two (2) more times.
• If the ‘squeak’ noise is no longer evident, no further action is required. Return the vehicle to the customer.
• If the ‘squeak’ noise is still evident, submit a Technical Assistance (TA) request for further assistance.