May 24, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V392000
The unlatched door may open while the vehicle is in motion, increasing the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V392
Potential Number of Units Affected 65,385
Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC (Land Rover) is recalling certain 2013-2016 Range Rover and 2014-2016 Range Rover Sport vehicles. Due to a problem with the Keyless Vehicle Latching System (KV Latch), the doors may appear to be closed but may be unlatched.
Land Rover will notify owners, and dealers will inspect for any issues with the KV system, disabling the KV mechanisms if necessary, and update the KV Latch software, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin July 19, 2019. Owners may contact Land Rover customer service at 1-800-637-6837. Land Rover’s number for this recall is N335. Note: Vehicles in this recall were previously recalled under recall number 15V-385 and need to be remedied again.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
NOTIFICATION OF SAFETY RECALL N335
JUNE 6, 2019
Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC has informed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) of its intent to perform a voluntary Safety Recall on certain 2013-2016 model year Land Rover Range Rover Sport and 2013-2016 Model Year Land Rover Range Rover vehicles imported into the United States market. Information relating to this Recall will be posted on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website.
United States Federal regulations require that retailers must be notified within a reasonable time after the manufacturer decides that a defect that relates to motor vehicle safety or a noncompliance exists.
United States Federal law requires retailers to complete any outstanding Recall service before a new vehicle is delivered to the buyer or lessee. Violation of this requirement by a retailer could result in a civil penalty of up to $21,780.00 per vehicle.
This Aftersales Bulletin serves as notification to all Land Rover retailers in the United States and Federalized Territories that any affected new vehicles may not be sold and delivered for customer use until the Recall repair is completed.
DESCRIPTION OF DEFECT
An issue has been identified on certain Land Rover vehicles within the listed Affected Vehicle Range where customers have reported a front and/or rear left and/or right door is unlatched when in the closed position and no indication provided of an unlatched condition. Some customers have reported that one door has opened while the vehicle was in motion.
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE
Range Rover Sport (L494)
Model Year: …………….. 2014-2016
VIN: …………………………… SALWR2WF0EA000002-SALWR2VF5FA524037
Range Rover (L405)
Model Year: …………….. 2013-2016
VIN: …………………………… SALGS2DF4DA000157-SALGS3KFXGA222280
A total of 65,385 vehicles are potentially involved in the USA and Federalized Territories. Visit the British Brands Sales Suite (BBSS) website for a list of affected vehicles at your retailer.
EFFECT ON VEHICLE OPERATION
Vehicle doors which are not latched in either the primary or secondary state may, while driving, open. This can increase the risk of a vehicle crash or compromise the safety of vehicle occupants.
SERVICE PROGRAM / REWORK ACTION
Owners will be notified by mail and instructed to take their vehicle to an authorized retailer who will download the latest software. This software will disable the Unilatch Keyless Vehicle (KV) entry function on the vehicle. A check of the KV system (motor operation) will indicate if the KV system has no pre-existing error state prior to latest software update being applied. Should any issue be detected, affected KV mechanism(s) will be mechanically disabled.
There will be no charge to owners for this action.
Owner notification is expected to occur on or before July 17, 2019.
ACTION TO BE TAKEN
Check DDW to ensure that the vehicle is affected by this Program prior to undertaking any rework action.
Retailers are required to HOLD affected new vehicles that are within your control and refrain from releasing the vehicles for new vehicle sale pending completion of the rework action. Affected vehicles already in the hands of customers should be updated at the next available opportunity.
Jaguar Land Rover North America recommends that affected sales demonstrator and loaner vehicles are repaired before use and that used vehicles are repaired before sale. Retailers who choose to proceed against this recommendation, where legally permitted, must clearly and conspicuously disclose the open recall to the applicable customers.
A Technical Bulletin will be published once repair instructions are finalized and any required parts have been procured.
Safety Recall N335 – Doors may not latch or open while driving
- Customers have reported the door is unlatched when in the closed position and no indication provided of an unlatched condition. Some customers have reported that one door has opened while the vehicle was in motion. Vehicle doors not latched in either the primary of secondary state may open during driving.
- Land Rover retailers will download the latest software. This software will disable the Unilatch Keyless Vehicle (KV) entry function on the vehicle.
- Vehicles in this recall have previously been included in recall P068 for a similar symptom.
- 65,387 USA vehicles are affected. Does not affect Canada
- Retailers were notified by Bulletin June 6th 2019
- Expected date for software delivery and the Technical repair bulletin is June 28th
- Customer mailing notification by July 19th
- All affected new vehicles have been retailed.
7 Affected Products
|LAND ROVER||RANGE ROVER||2013-2016|
|LAND ROVER||RANGE ROVER SPORT||2014-2016|
4 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – NOTIFICATION OF SAFETY RECALL N335
Miscellaneous Document – Safety Recall 19V392 – N335 – June 2019 Shop Foreman Conference Call Slide
1 Associated Investigation
Door Latch Open While Driving
NHTSA ID: EA18004
Dated opened: July 2, 2018
On June 11, 2015, Jaguar-Land Rover (JLR) submitted a Defect Information Report (DIR) to NHTSA describing a defect condition in the electronically controlled door latch systems of approximately 65,372 model year (MY) 2013-2016 Range Rover and MY 2014-2016 Range Rover Sport that may result in incidents of door opening while driving (NHTSA Recall No. 15V-385, JLR Recall P068).
On August 4, 2017, the Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) opened Recall Query RQ17-005 to investigate claims of doors failing to latch and/or inadvertently opening while driving (latch malfunctions) on MY 2013-2016 Range Rover and MY 2014-2016 Range Rover Sport vehicles that had received the remedy for 15V-385 or were built after the recall remedy had been implemented in production (the subject vehicles). ODI has received 5 unique reports (VOQs) related to the alleged defect in the subject vehicles. All five VOQs allege experiencing at least one incident of a door opening inadvertently while the vehicle was in motion and were repaired by replacing the malfunctioning latch assembly. One minor injury was reported where the consumer did not seek medical care.
ODI’s analysis of information provided by JLR in response to the Information Request (IR) letter for RQ17-005 identified 43 additional complaints and field reports related to door latch malfunctions in the subject vehicles, including 14 additional allegations that a door opened while the vehicle was in motion. In addition, ODI’s analysis of JLR warranty claim data provided in the IR response identified an additional 564 vehicles that received latch replacements to address customer concerns with latch malfunctions, including 72 additional incidents of doors opening while in motion based on ODI’s analysis of customer concern narratives.
ODI is upgrading this investigation to an Engineering Analysis (EA) to further assess the recall remedy, scope, and frequency. See attached pages for additional information.
- ADVANCED FORMULA 3 IN 1. Our fortify quick coat is your all in one ceramic coating hydrophobic spray. Shine Armor Fortify Quick Coat car wax provides a waterless wash, coat and shine, all in one convenient product.
- NO STREAKING, SMEARING OR SCRATCHING. Shine Armor Fortify Quick Coat premium formula ceramic car coating is a gentle and effective car polish for any vehicle! Get a clean, shiny finish without hurting your car's paint.
- CUTS DIRT, GRIME & GREASE. Our Quick Coat ceramic wax car sealant eliminates dirt, grime & grease instantly! Our signature 3-in-1 formula gives you a waterless car wash, coat and shine for a clean, showcase look.
- SAFE FOR ALL SURFACES. Use this car wax spray on automobiles, boats, motorbikes, RVs, four wheelers and more! This spray wax is the perfect blend of surfactants and SiO2 ceramic-coating science.
- 100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE. We are confident you will love our FORTIFY QUICK COAT ceramic wax for cars, we offer a 30-day money-back guarantee! CLICK "Add to Cart" NOW, ZERO RISK!
- Removes embedded grains of metal, tree sap, airborne environmental deposits and paint overspray for "new" look
- Safe to use on paint
- Includes 2 clay bars, Showtime Instant Detailer, Microfiber towel
- Regular use provides a long lasting benefit to your vehicle
- ONE EASY STEP: Formula delivers maximum synthetic protection, durability, depth of color, and reflectivity in this easy one step
- EFFORTLESS APPLICATION: Thin Film technology provides for easy application and wipe off even in full sun, and will not stain non-painted trim pieces white
- LONG-LASTING PROTECTION: Advanced synthetic polymers crosslink to form a long-lasting protective barrier while amplifying reflection for incredible depth and mirror-like shine
- WATER ROLLS RIGHT OFF PAINT: Hydrophobic Polymer technology increases surface tension to protect paint
- SAFE AND FLEXIBLE: Safe and effective on all glossy paints and clear coats, and can be applied by hand or dual action variable speed polisher like Meguiar's MT300 Dual Action Polisher
- OXIDATION, SCRATCH & SWIRL REMOVER - Get rid of damages to your vehicle without hurting the paint! No need to pay high prices to get these repairs fixed! Easy, convenient bottle & application process you can do at home!
- DETAIL GRADE COMPOUNDS - Shine Armor brings high-end detail grade products directly to you! Save money & time with our Revive Scratch Repair. It is EASY, QUICK & SAFE to apply to any car.
- PREMIUM PAINT RESTORER - Restore the shine & sparkle to your paint while treating unwanted scratches & swirls! Treats water spots, oxidations & many other contaminants that ruin your paint!
- REVOLUTIONARY FORMULA - Revive Scratch Repair contains NO FILLERS OR WAXES. Remove oxidation, scratches & Swirls without damaging the paint! It even creates little to no dusting!
- GET SHINE ARMOR REVIVE SCRATCH REPAIR RISK FREE: 100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE - We are confident you will love our REVIVE SCRATCH REPAIR, we offer a 30-day money-back guarantee! CLICK "Add to Cart" NOW, ZERO RISK!
- DURABLE HIGH-SHINE FINISH: Sprayable dry-to-the-touch non-greasy dressing works on interior and exterior vinyl, rubber, plastics, tires and dashboard surfaces to restore original OEM look that will not attract dirt or dust
- PROTECT AGAINST FADING: Ultra-refined Weather-Tek formula penetrates deep to nourish and protect like-new appearance that lasts for weeks, not days. Sun blockers shield from harmful UV rays that fade, crack and break vinyl, rubber, and plastic parts
- NON-GREASY WATER-BASED FORMULA: Achieve a non-greasy long lasting dry-to-the-touch deep wet look on both interior and exterior vinyl, rubber, plastic and tires with this water-based dressing. Quick and easy application lasts for weeks, not days
- THE #1 BRAND IN CAR CARE: Beginners and professionals alike choose Chemical Guys, not only for the finest car care products, but the world class customer support and vast detailing knowledge. Chemical Guys is more than a brand - it's a lifestyle with a worldwide following
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: Our customers love our products. We love our products, and we want to make sure you love them too
- ONLY ONE STEP: Designed to both clean and condition your car in one easy step
- ADVANCED FORMULA: Cleans without stripping wax protection
- THE BEST CLEAN: Foams away tough dirt, road grime and contaminants
- RADIANT LOOK: Contains ultra-rich conditioners to make your paint look its best
- FOAM CANNON READY: Diverse application allows it to be used in a bucket or in a foam cannon. *Dilute 5:1 when used with a foam cannon.
- Used by professionals for years, Simichrome does a beautiful job of removing surface rust from chrome, polishing aluminum until it looks like new, even sprucing up delicate, heirloom family silver without leaving scratches or abrasive marks
- Its unique, finely mixed formula produces a rich, brilliant shine on any uncoated, non-ferrous, metal surface including, brass, gold, silver, aluminum, magnesium, pewter, chrome, sterling, copper and stainless steel
- In as little as 30 seconds, you can watch a small, faded item go from dull, oxidized metal to a having a perfect mirror finish
- In addition to restoring the original luster, Simichrome also leaves an invisible, protective coating to prevent further tarnishing and help keep the shine much longer
- A solid favorite for home, industry, auto, motorcycle and antique users, Simichrome is the fastest, most effective metal polishing and cleaning agent in the industry today
- Rated #1 car polish by leading consumer testing magazines for protection, durability, gloss improvement and best retail value
- Both liquid and paste versions are the only products to have been rated #1 by the leading U.S. consumer testing magazine
- No heavy rubbing, no heavy buffing formula and can be applied in direct sunlight
- Only car polish product on the market that contains no wax
- Can also be used to protect: fiberglass boats, airplanes and motorcycles, as well as various household items
- PREPS SURFACE: Pre-waxing glaze that prepares the surface for wax while offering deep reflections and high gloss
- BEST CAR GLOSS: Conditioning oils add depth of color and maximum gloss prior to waxing, especially on dark colored cars
- REMOVE SWIRLS: Quickly and gently removes fine swirls and towel marks for mirror-like reflections
- SAFE FOR CLEAR COATS: Safe and on all glossy paints, including clear coats
- FLEXIBLE APPLICATION: Safe and effective by hand or dual action polisher like Meguiar's MT300 Dual Action Polisher
Last update on 2019-07-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2019-07-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API