LTB00228NAS4 - LTB00228NAS3
27 APR 2012
ISSUE '4' CHANGES ARE HIGHLIGHTED IN GRAY
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
|LR3 (LA)||VIN: Model Year:||5A000360 - 9A513325|
2005 - 2009
|Range Rover Sport (LS)||VIN: Model Year:||6A900129 - 7A999999|
7A100000 - 9A215620 2006 - 2009
|Range Rover (LM)||VIN: Model Year:||7A239036 - AA307231|
2007 – 2010
Situation: The driver warning message 'Transmission Fault Stop Safely' may be displayed in the instrument cluster message center, Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P186D and possibly P080A / P0806 may be stored in the electronic rear differential control module, and the Dynamic Suspension may lower. These issues may be caused by the Electronic Torque Managed (ETM) rear differential motor being energized while the motor brake is still partially engaged, resulting in mechanical wear of the motor assembly which may lead to a stuck actuator and DTC P186D.
NOTE: After the new differential motor has been installed, it is imperative that the new software is downloaded to the Rear differential control module. Failure to carry out this instruction will result in a future repeat repair. Once the new software has been downloaded, the software stored in the Rear differential control module should show 7H42-4C045-A(D) or a higher alphabetical character for vehicles pre-2010MY and 9W83-4C045-A(D) or a higher alphabetical character for vehicles 2010MYonwards.
NOTE: To complete the repair the new software must be downloaded and the on demand self test (ODST) concluded. SDD will run the ODST automatically as part of the software download to the Rear differential control module; follow all on-screen instructions to ensure the ODST is successfully completed. The ODST configures the Rear differential control module to ensure that it knows where the clutch biting point is internal to the axle assembly. After the ODST has completed successfully, clear DTCs and perform an ignition cycle; read DTCs and confirm none are present. If DTCs remain, follow normal SDD diagnostic procedures.
Action: In the event of a customer concern of the above, refer to the Repair Procedure outlined below to replace the rear differential locking motor assembly and update the Rear differential control module software.
|NOTE: Rear differential motor service kit part number LR032711 may be used only if LR032712 (remanufactured component) is not available.|
|LR032712||Rear differential motor service kit||Qty: 1|
Refer to Workshop Manual for any other required special tools
DDW requires the use of causal part numbers. Labor only claims must show the causal part number with a quantity of zero.
|DESCRIPTION||SRO||TIME (HOURS)||CONDITION CODE||CAUSAL PART|
|Motor - Differential Locking - Renew - Range Rover||51.15.03||0.40||42||NNW508400|
|Motor - Differential Locking - Renew – LR3, Range Rover Sport||51.15.03||0.30||42||NNW508400|
|Update Rear Differential Control Module Software||51.90.02||0.20||42||NNW508400|
Normal warranty policy and procedures apply.
REPLACE REAR DIFFERENTIAL LOCKING MOTOR
- Refer to Workshop Manual, section 205-02: Rear Drive Axle / Differential, and replace the differential locking motor.
- CAUTION: Ensure all ignition 'ON' / ignition 'OFF' requests are carried out; failure to perform these steps may cause damage to control modules in the vehicle.
- CAUTION: A Land Rover-approved Midtronics Vehicle Power Supply must be connected to the vehicle battery during IDS diagnosis / module programming.
- Connect the Land Rover-approved Midtronics Vehicle Power Supply to the vehicle battery.
- Turn ignition 'ON' (engine not running).
- Connect the IDS to the vehicle and begin a new Symptom Driven Diagnostics (SDD) session.
- Follow the on-screen prompts, allowing SDD to read the VIN and identify the vehicle.
- From the Session Type selection screen, choose 'Diagnosis'.
- Select the 'Selected Symptoms' tab, and then select:
- Electrical > Instruments > Warning Lamps 7. Select 'continue'.
- Select the 'Recommendations' tab.
- From the Recommendations tab, select 'Run' to 'Configure existing module - Rear differential control module'
- Follow all on-screen instructions to complete this task.
- Exit the current session.
- Disconnect the IDS and the Midtronics Vehicle Power Supply from the vehicle.
JLR Symptom Driven Diagnostics (SDD) for Independent Repairers: Diagnostic Software / Module programming subscriptions - without security access - can be purchased via TOPIx (From the User ID - Options Menu – Programming subscriptions – click add). Module programming - with security access - is necessary to program the IPC, BCM, ECM (PCM), KVM, as well as keys. Licensed locksmiths and independent repairers must be active members of the National Automotive Service Task Force (NASTF) Vehicle Security Professional (VSP) registry and will need to purchase a subscription to Independent Module Programming with Security Access to program these components. Currently we are only able to support yearly module programming subscriptions with security access. SDD will only support Jaguar vehicles built from 1995 MY onward.