May 23, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V390000
The unlatched door may open while the vehicle is in motion, increasing the risk of injury or a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V390
Potential Number of Units Affected 28,671
Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC (Land Rover) is recalling certain 2016 Range Rover and Range Rover Sport vehicles. A spring in the Keyless Vehicle Latching System (KV Latch) may get stuck, causing the left hand door to remain unlatched when the door is closed.
Land Rover will notify owners, and dealers will replace the left hand side door latch assembly, free of charge. Interim notices informing owners of the safety risk will be mailed July 19, 2019. Owners will receive a second notice when the remedy becomes available. Owners may contact Land Rover customer service at 1-800-637-6837. Land Rover’s number for this recall is N336.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
NOTIFICATION OF SAFETY RECALL N336
JUNE 6, 2019
Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC has informed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) of its intent to perform a voluntary Safety Recall on certain 2016 model year Land Rover Range Rover Sport and Range Rover vehicles imported into the United States market. Information relating to this Recall will be posted on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website.
United States Federal regulations require that retailers must be notified within a reasonable time after the manufacturer decides that a defect that relates to motor vehicle safety or a noncompliance exists.
United States Federal law requires retailers to complete any outstanding Recall service before a new vehicle is delivered to the buyer or lessee. Violation of this requirement by a retailer could result in a civil penalty of up to $21,780.00 per vehicle.
This Aftersales Bulletin serves as notification to all Land Rover retailers in the United States and Federalized Territories that any affected new vehicles may not be sold and delivered for customer use until the Recall repair is completed.
DESCRIPTION OF DEFECT
An issue has been identified on certain Land Rover vehicles within the listed Affected Vehicle Range where customers have reported a front and/or rear left door is unlatched when in the closed position and no indication provided of an unlatched condition. Some customers have reported that a front and/or rear door on the left-side of the vehicle has opened while the vehicle was in motion. A spring in the Keyless Vehicle Latching System (KV Latch) may jam between the outside transmission lever and chamfer bush. With the spring trapped, the latch assembly cannot return to its correct position and the latch assembly will not fully latch the door.
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE
Range Rover Sport (L494)
Model Year: …………….. 2016
VIN: …………………………… SALWG2VF0GA556983-SALWR2EF6GA599458
Range Rover (L405)
Model Year: …………….. 2016
VIN: …………………………… SALGS2EF3GA258138-SALGS2PF8GA298504
A total of 28,671 vehicles are potentially involved in the USA and Federalized Territories. Visit the British Brands Sales Suite (BBSS) website for a list of affected vehicles at your retailer.
EFFECT ON VEHICLE OPERATION
Vehicle doors which are not latched in either the primary or secondary state may, while driving, open. This can increase the risk of a vehicle crash or compromise the safety of vehicle occupants.
SERVICE PROGRAM / REWORK ACTION
Owners will be notified by mail and instructed to take their vehicle to an authorized retailer who will replace the front and rear left door latch assemblies with one that fully meets the engineering specification.
There will be no charge to owners for this action.
Owner notification is expected to occur on or before July 17, 2019.
ACTION TO BE TAKEN
Check DDW to ensure that the vehicle is affected by this Program prior to undertaking any rework action.
Retailers are required to HOLD affected new vehicles that are within your control and refrain from releasing the vehicles for new vehicle sale pending completion of the rework action. Affected vehicles already in the hands of customers should be updated at the next available opportunity.
Jaguar Land Rover North America recommends that affected sales demonstrator and loaner vehicles are repaired before use and that used vehicles are repaired before sale. Retailers who choose to proceed against this recommendation, where legally permitted, must clearly and conspicuously disclose the open recall to the applicable customers.
A Technical Bulletin will be published once repair instructions are finalized and any required parts have been procured.
Safety Recall N336 – Doors may not latch or open while driving
- A spring in the Keyless Vehicle Latching System (KV Latch) may jam between the outside transmission lever and chamfer bush. With the spring trapped, the latch assembly cannot return to its correct position and the latch assembly will not fully latch the door. Vehicle doors not latched in either the primary of secondary state may open during driving.
- Land Rover approved repairers will replace both left hand side door latches with assemblies that fully meets the engineering specification.
- 28,679 USA vehicles are affected. Does not affect Canada.
- Retailers were notified by Bulletin on June 6th 2019
- The date for availability of parts and the repair bulletin is being actively managed with the supplier. A review on June 19th is expected to provide a timing plan. Retailers will be updated as soon as this information becomes available.
- Customer mailing notification by July 19th
- All affected new vehicles have been retailed.
573.6 (c) (6) – Chronology of Events
A Product Safety and Compliance Committee (PSCC) investigation was opened on March 26, 2019, following an investigation by the Product Compliance external investigations team, who had received an Engineering Analysis request from National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to review claims of door unlatched outside of the previous P068 recall VIN range.
During the investigation in April, 2019, the engineering team reviewed all available data including assessment of field return components. The engineering team conducting ongoing discussion with the door latch supplier in regards to the prior investigation and other potential issues which may impact the ability of the Unilatch Keyless Vehicle (KV) door latch to correctly operate.
In late April, 2019, detailed analysis of reports relating to vehicles manufactured after the cut off point for the P068 recall campaign where reports similar to those in the P068 recall campaign were received. This detailed analysis engendered a detailed assessment of the post-P068 vehicle population and the causes of the post-P068 recall failures.
During the investigation in late April and early May, 2019, the data analysis indicated a pattern and trend for doors not latching on the left hand side of the vehicle for a discreet population manufactured within the date range specified. Investigations revealed from component analysis conducted with the supplier revealed that the left hand side door latch outside transmission lever and bush chamfer components were not manufactured to the designed dimensional specifications.
Where left hand side latches contain both out of specification transmission level and bush chamfer components, there is a risk that over time the defect will occur. Analysis conducted by the supplier showed that these out of specification parts were supplied to Jaguar Land Rover during the period specified. There is an elevated report rate for vehicles manufactured during the affected period.
Engineering concluded on May 14, 2019, that vehicles with left hand latch assemblies fitted with out of specification components could prevent the left hand side front or rear door from latching correctly.
The RDC reviewed the concern on May 16, 2019, and concluded that the concern represented an unreasonable risk to safety and that a voluntarily safety recall be conducted.
There have been no reported accidents or injuries as a result of this concern.
2 Affected Products
|LAND ROVER||RANGE ROVER||2016|
|LAND ROVER||RANGE ROVER SPORT||2016|
5 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – NOTIFICATION OF SAFETY RECALL N336
Miscellaneous Document – Safety Recall 19V390 – N336 – June 2019 Conference Call Slide 9
1 Associated Investigation
Door Latch Open While Driving
NHTSA ID: EA18004
Dated opened: July 2, 2018
On June 11, 2015, Jaguar-Land Rover (JLR) submitted a Defect Information Report (DIR) to NHTSA describing a defect condition in the electronically controlled door latch systems of approximately 65,372 model year (MY) 2013-2016 Range Rover and MY 2014-2016 Range Rover Sport that may result in incidents of door opening while driving (NHTSA Recall No. 15V-385, JLR Recall P068).
On August 4, 2017, the Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) opened Recall Query RQ17-005 to investigate claims of doors failing to latch and/or inadvertently opening while driving (latch malfunctions) on MY 2013-2016 Range Rover and MY 2014-2016 Range Rover Sport vehicles that had received the remedy for 15V-385 or were built after the recall remedy had been implemented in production (the subject vehicles). ODI has received 5 unique reports (VOQs) related to the alleged defect in the subject vehicles. All five VOQs allege experiencing at least one incident of a door opening inadvertently while the vehicle was in motion and were repaired by replacing the malfunctioning latch assembly. One minor injury was reported where the consumer did not seek medical care.
ODI’s analysis of information provided by JLR in response to the Information Request (IR) letter for RQ17-005 identified 43 additional complaints and field reports related to door latch malfunctions in the subject vehicles, including 14 additional allegations that a door opened while the vehicle was in motion. In addition, ODI’s analysis of JLR warranty claim data provided in the IR response identified an additional 564 vehicles that received latch replacements to address customer concerns with latch malfunctions, including 72 additional incidents of doors opening while in motion based on ODI’s analysis of customer concern narratives.
ODI is upgrading this investigation to an Engineering Analysis (EA) to further assess the recall remedy, scope, and frequency. See attached pages for additional information.
- ADVANCED FORMULA 3 IN 1. Our fortify quick coat is your all in one ceramic coating hydrophobic spray. Shine Armor Fortify Quick Coat car wax provides a waterless wash, coat and shine, all in one convenient product.
- NO STREAKING, SMEARING OR SCRATCHING. Shine Armor Fortify Quick Coat premium formula ceramic car coating is a gentle and effective car polish for any vehicle! Get a clean, shiny finish without hurting your car's paint.
- CUTS DIRT, GRIME & GREASE. Our Quick Coat ceramic wax car sealant eliminates dirt, grime & grease instantly! Our signature 3-in-1 formula gives you a waterless car wash, coat and shine for a clean, showcase look.
- SAFE FOR ALL SURFACES. Use this car wax spray on automobiles, boats, motorbikes, RVs, four wheelers and more! This spray wax is the perfect blend of surfactants and SiO2 ceramic-coating science.
- 100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE. We are confident you will love our FORTIFY QUICK COAT ceramic wax for cars, we offer a 30-day money-back guarantee! CLICK "Add to Cart" NOW, ZERO RISK!
- Removes embedded grains of metal, tree sap, airborne environmental deposits and paint overspray for "new" look
- Safe to use on paint
- Includes 2 clay bars, Showtime Instant Detailer, Microfiber towel
- Regular use provides a long lasting benefit to your vehicle
- ONE EASY STEP: Formula delivers maximum synthetic protection, durability, depth of color, and reflectivity in this easy one step
- EFFORTLESS APPLICATION: Thin Film technology provides for easy application and wipe off even in full sun, and will not stain non-painted trim pieces white
- LONG-LASTING PROTECTION: Advanced synthetic polymers crosslink to form a long-lasting protective barrier while amplifying reflection for incredible depth and mirror-like shine
- WATER ROLLS RIGHT OFF PAINT: Hydrophobic Polymer technology increases surface tension to protect paint
- SAFE AND FLEXIBLE: Safe and effective on all glossy paints and clear coats, and can be applied by hand or dual action variable speed polisher like Meguiar's MT300 Dual Action Polisher
- OXIDATION, SCRATCH & SWIRL REMOVER - Get rid of damages to your vehicle without hurting the paint! No need to pay high prices to get these repairs fixed! Easy, convenient bottle & application process you can do at home!
- DETAIL GRADE COMPOUNDS - Shine Armor brings high-end detail grade products directly to you! Save money & time with our Revive Scratch Repair. It is EASY, QUICK & SAFE to apply to any car.
- PREMIUM PAINT RESTORER - Restore the shine & sparkle to your paint while treating unwanted scratches & swirls! Treats water spots, oxidations & many other contaminants that ruin your paint!
- REVOLUTIONARY FORMULA - Revive Scratch Repair contains NO FILLERS OR WAXES. Remove oxidation, scratches & Swirls without damaging the paint! It even creates little to no dusting!
- GET SHINE ARMOR REVIVE SCRATCH REPAIR RISK FREE: 100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE - We are confident you will love our REVIVE SCRATCH REPAIR, we offer a 30-day money-back guarantee! CLICK "Add to Cart" NOW, ZERO RISK!
- DURABLE HIGH-SHINE FINISH: Sprayable dry-to-the-touch non-greasy dressing works on interior and exterior vinyl, rubber, plastics, tires and dashboard surfaces to restore original OEM look that will not attract dirt or dust
- PROTECT AGAINST FADING: Ultra-refined Weather-Tek formula penetrates deep to nourish and protect like-new appearance that lasts for weeks, not days. Sun blockers shield from harmful UV rays that fade, crack and break vinyl, rubber, and plastic parts
- NON-GREASY WATER-BASED FORMULA: Achieve a non-greasy long lasting dry-to-the-touch deep wet look on both interior and exterior vinyl, rubber, plastic and tires with this water-based dressing. Quick and easy application lasts for weeks, not days
- THE #1 BRAND IN CAR CARE: Beginners and professionals alike choose Chemical Guys, not only for the finest car care products, but the world class customer support and vast detailing knowledge. Chemical Guys is more than a brand - it's a lifestyle with a worldwide following
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: Our customers love our products. We love our products, and we want to make sure you love them too
- ONLY ONE STEP: Designed to both clean and condition your car in one easy step
- ADVANCED FORMULA: Cleans without stripping wax protection
- THE BEST CLEAN: Foams away tough dirt, road grime and contaminants
- RADIANT LOOK: Contains ultra-rich conditioners to make your paint look its best
- FOAM CANNON READY: Diverse application allows it to be used in a bucket or in a foam cannon. *Dilute 5:1 when used with a foam cannon.
- Used by professionals for years, Simichrome does a beautiful job of removing surface rust from chrome, polishing aluminum until it looks like new, even sprucing up delicate, heirloom family silver without leaving scratches or abrasive marks
- Its unique, finely mixed formula produces a rich, brilliant shine on any uncoated, non-ferrous, metal surface including, brass, gold, silver, aluminum, magnesium, pewter, chrome, sterling, copper and stainless steel
- In as little as 30 seconds, you can watch a small, faded item go from dull, oxidized metal to a having a perfect mirror finish
- In addition to restoring the original luster, Simichrome also leaves an invisible, protective coating to prevent further tarnishing and help keep the shine much longer
- A solid favorite for home, industry, auto, motorcycle and antique users, Simichrome is the fastest, most effective metal polishing and cleaning agent in the industry today
- PREPS SURFACE: Pre-waxing glaze that prepares the surface for wax while offering deep reflections and high gloss
- BEST CAR GLOSS: Conditioning oils add depth of color and maximum gloss prior to waxing, especially on dark colored cars
- REMOVE SWIRLS: Quickly and gently removes fine swirls and towel marks for mirror-like reflections
- SAFE FOR CLEAR COATS: Safe and on all glossy paints, including clear coats
- FLEXIBLE APPLICATION: Safe and effective by hand or dual action polisher like Meguiar's MT300 Dual Action Polisher
- - PEOPLE SAY: "IT WORKS!" - Expect good things from a car care cleaner that performs beyond expectations. That's what you'll experience here! We made our multisurface cleaner to perform safely and effectively on all surfaces. It's our newest smart technology that first neutralizes acids. Softens as it penetrates. Finally carries away grease, dried bug splatter and grime while leaving the important things behind. Like wax, clear coat, paint, polish, conditioned leather and so on.
- - MAKING YOUR LIFE EASIER - You'll experience is how simple it cleans your vehicle's exterior. Bug guts turned to mush in about 60 seconds! You'll see that happen! You'll love how it performs on the interior too. Clean leather, vinyl, carpet, wood trim, plastic, rubber, upholstery, metal, painted and polish surfaces and a whole lot more. It removes, bug guts, dirt, grime, grease, tree sap, bird poop, odors, food stains, rust stains, brake dust, mildew, black streaks, oxidation and so much more.
- - SIMPLY CLEAN, NO GLOSS - Inferior products make you do all the work. They tend to leave a cloudy, tacky or greasy film. Our product reduces effort while leaving your vehicle looking great. No added polish or waxes that degrade the quality. Just clean! Non-Toxic, Biodegradable, NO Petroleum Distillates, Non Flammable, No Harsh Chemicals, No Strong Odors, Non-Abrasive and Non-Corrosive. Safe around kids, pets, grass, plants and shrubs. Helping to bring back that new car look.
- - SAVING MORE, GETTING MORE! - Our concentrated cleaning solutions must be diluted into ready to use cleaner. You pay less per quart of ready to use while getting more because it's highly concentrated. Which means you can use it on Cars, pickups, semi trucks, motorcycles, airplanes, campers, RVs, trailers, boats, ATVs, Heavy equipment, shop tools and machines, painted surfaces, driveways, rubber roofs, fiberglass, awnings, and more...
- - 100% RISK FREE GUARANTEE! - We firmly believe this is the absolute best all around car care product on the market!! If for any reason you are not satisfied with Bugs N All, simply return any unused portion for a full no hassle, 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee Refund! It's a Win, Win for you. CLICK 'Add to Cart' NOW. 100% RISK FREE!
Last update on 2019-07-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2019-07-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API