May 23, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V390000
The unlatched door may open while the vehicle is in motion, increasing the risk of injury or a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V390
Potential Number of Units Affected 28,671
Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC (Land Rover) is recalling certain 2016 Range Rover and Range Rover Sport vehicles. A spring in the Keyless Vehicle Latching System (KV Latch) may get stuck, causing the left hand door to remain unlatched when the door is closed.
Land Rover will notify owners, and dealers will replace the left hand side door latch assembly, free of charge. Interim notices informing owners of the safety risk will be mailed July 19, 2019. Owners will receive a second notice when the remedy becomes available. Owners may contact Land Rover customer service at 1-800-637-6837. Land Rover’s number for this recall is N336.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
NOTIFICATION OF SAFETY RECALL N336
JUNE 6, 2019
Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC has informed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) of its intent to perform a voluntary Safety Recall on certain 2016 model year Land Rover Range Rover Sport and Range Rover vehicles imported into the United States market. Information relating to this Recall will be posted on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website.
United States Federal regulations require that retailers must be notified within a reasonable time after the manufacturer decides that a defect that relates to motor vehicle safety or a noncompliance exists.
United States Federal law requires retailers to complete any outstanding Recall service before a new vehicle is delivered to the buyer or lessee. Violation of this requirement by a retailer could result in a civil penalty of up to $21,780.00 per vehicle.
This Aftersales Bulletin serves as notification to all Land Rover retailers in the United States and Federalized Territories that any affected new vehicles may not be sold and delivered for customer use until the Recall repair is completed.
DESCRIPTION OF DEFECT
An issue has been identified on certain Land Rover vehicles within the listed Affected Vehicle Range where customers have reported a front and/or rear left door is unlatched when in the closed position and no indication provided of an unlatched condition. Some customers have reported that a front and/or rear door on the left-side of the vehicle has opened while the vehicle was in motion. A spring in the Keyless Vehicle Latching System (KV Latch) may jam between the outside transmission lever and chamfer bush. With the spring trapped, the latch assembly cannot return to its correct position and the latch assembly will not fully latch the door.
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE
Range Rover Sport (L494)
Model Year: …………….. 2016
VIN: …………………………… SALWG2VF0GA556983-SALWR2EF6GA599458
Range Rover (L405)
Model Year: …………….. 2016
VIN: …………………………… SALGS2EF3GA258138-SALGS2PF8GA298504
A total of 28,671 vehicles are potentially involved in the USA and Federalized Territories. Visit the British Brands Sales Suite (BBSS) website for a list of affected vehicles at your retailer.
EFFECT ON VEHICLE OPERATION
Vehicle doors which are not latched in either the primary or secondary state may, while driving, open. This can increase the risk of a vehicle crash or compromise the safety of vehicle occupants.
SERVICE PROGRAM / REWORK ACTION
Owners will be notified by mail and instructed to take their vehicle to an authorized retailer who will replace the front and rear left door latch assemblies with one that fully meets the engineering specification.
There will be no charge to owners for this action.
Owner notification is expected to occur on or before July 17, 2019.
ACTION TO BE TAKEN
Check DDW to ensure that the vehicle is affected by this Program prior to undertaking any rework action.
Retailers are required to HOLD affected new vehicles that are within your control and refrain from releasing the vehicles for new vehicle sale pending completion of the rework action. Affected vehicles already in the hands of customers should be updated at the next available opportunity.
Jaguar Land Rover North America recommends that affected sales demonstrator and loaner vehicles are repaired before use and that used vehicles are repaired before sale. Retailers who choose to proceed against this recommendation, where legally permitted, must clearly and conspicuously disclose the open recall to the applicable customers.
A Technical Bulletin will be published once repair instructions are finalized and any required parts have been procured.
Safety Recall N336 – Doors may not latch or open while driving
- A spring in the Keyless Vehicle Latching System (KV Latch) may jam between the outside transmission lever and chamfer bush. With the spring trapped, the latch assembly cannot return to its correct position and the latch assembly will not fully latch the door. Vehicle doors not latched in either the primary of secondary state may open during driving.
- Land Rover approved repairers will replace both left hand side door latches with assemblies that fully meets the engineering specification.
- 28,679 USA vehicles are affected. Does not affect Canada.
- Retailers were notified by Bulletin on June 6th 2019
- The date for availability of parts and the repair bulletin is being actively managed with the supplier. A review on June 19th is expected to provide a timing plan. Retailers will be updated as soon as this information becomes available.
- Customer mailing notification by July 19th
- All affected new vehicles have been retailed.
573.6 (c) (6) – Chronology of Events
A Product Safety and Compliance Committee (PSCC) investigation was opened on March 26, 2019, following an investigation by the Product Compliance external investigations team, who had received an Engineering Analysis request from National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to review claims of door unlatched outside of the previous P068 recall VIN range.
During the investigation in April, 2019, the engineering team reviewed all available data including assessment of field return components. The engineering team conducting ongoing discussion with the door latch supplier in regards to the prior investigation and other potential issues which may impact the ability of the Unilatch Keyless Vehicle (KV) door latch to correctly operate.
In late April, 2019, detailed analysis of reports relating to vehicles manufactured after the cut off point for the P068 recall campaign where reports similar to those in the P068 recall campaign were received. This detailed analysis engendered a detailed assessment of the post-P068 vehicle population and the causes of the post-P068 recall failures.
During the investigation in late April and early May, 2019, the data analysis indicated a pattern and trend for doors not latching on the left hand side of the vehicle for a discreet population manufactured within the date range specified. Investigations revealed from component analysis conducted with the supplier revealed that the left hand side door latch outside transmission lever and bush chamfer components were not manufactured to the designed dimensional specifications.
Where left hand side latches contain both out of specification transmission level and bush chamfer components, there is a risk that over time the defect will occur. Analysis conducted by the supplier showed that these out of specification parts were supplied to Jaguar Land Rover during the period specified. There is an elevated report rate for vehicles manufactured during the affected period.
Engineering concluded on May 14, 2019, that vehicles with left hand latch assemblies fitted with out of specification components could prevent the left hand side front or rear door from latching correctly.
The RDC reviewed the concern on May 16, 2019, and concluded that the concern represented an unreasonable risk to safety and that a voluntarily safety recall be conducted.
There have been no reported accidents or injuries as a result of this concern.
2 Affected Products
|LAND ROVER||RANGE ROVER||2016|
|LAND ROVER||RANGE ROVER SPORT||2016|
5 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – NOTIFICATION OF SAFETY RECALL N336
Miscellaneous Document – Safety Recall 19V390 – N336 – June 2019 Conference Call Slide 9
1 Associated Investigation
Door Latch Open While Driving
NHTSA ID: EA18004
Dated opened: July 2, 2018
On June 11, 2015, Jaguar-Land Rover (JLR) submitted a Defect Information Report (DIR) to NHTSA describing a defect condition in the electronically controlled door latch systems of approximately 65,372 model year (MY) 2013-2016 Range Rover and MY 2014-2016 Range Rover Sport that may result in incidents of door opening while driving (NHTSA Recall No. 15V-385, JLR Recall P068).
On August 4, 2017, the Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) opened Recall Query RQ17-005 to investigate claims of doors failing to latch and/or inadvertently opening while driving (latch malfunctions) on MY 2013-2016 Range Rover and MY 2014-2016 Range Rover Sport vehicles that had received the remedy for 15V-385 or were built after the recall remedy had been implemented in production (the subject vehicles). ODI has received 5 unique reports (VOQs) related to the alleged defect in the subject vehicles. All five VOQs allege experiencing at least one incident of a door opening inadvertently while the vehicle was in motion and were repaired by replacing the malfunctioning latch assembly. One minor injury was reported where the consumer did not seek medical care.
ODI’s analysis of information provided by JLR in response to the Information Request (IR) letter for RQ17-005 identified 43 additional complaints and field reports related to door latch malfunctions in the subject vehicles, including 14 additional allegations that a door opened while the vehicle was in motion. In addition, ODI’s analysis of JLR warranty claim data provided in the IR response identified an additional 564 vehicles that received latch replacements to address customer concerns with latch malfunctions, including 72 additional incidents of doors opening while in motion based on ODI’s analysis of customer concern narratives.
ODI is upgrading this investigation to an Engineering Analysis (EA) to further assess the recall remedy, scope, and frequency. See attached pages for additional information.
- PREPS SURFACE: Pre-waxing glaze that prepares the surface for wax while offering deep reflections and high gloss
- BEST CAR GLOSS: Conditioning oils add depth of color and maximum gloss prior to waxing, especially on dark colored cars
- REMOVE SWIRLS: Quickly and gently removes fine swirls and towel marks for mirror-like reflections
- SAFE FOR CLEAR COATS: Safe and on all glossy paints, including clear coats
- FLEXIBLE APPLICATION: Safe and effective by hand or dual action polisher like Meguiar's MT300 Dual Action Polisher
- MADE WITH ADVANCED SCIENCE! - Are you tired of using products that look great, but don't last? You won't experience that here! This magic in a bottle produces a deep shine, slick surface and longer lasting protection than anything on the market! Stop using inferior sealants, topcoat carnuba waxes and polishes made with old science and technology! This will out last and out shine them all!
- STREAK FREE AND SAFE FOR EVERY SURFACE! - Ever spend hours waxing and detailing your car motorcycle truck or rv? You feel so relieved to be at the final step ...buffing the wax off! You grab that towel to finish the job, but look in horror to see you turned your rubber and plastic white!! Never experience that again! This formula is safe to apply onto EVERY SURFACE without worrying about white residue or streaks!
- BRILLIANT SHOW CAR SHINE! - Most products nowadays will make your cars look pretty good.. Our newly developed synthetic detail spray gives instant head turning results! Works at the molecular nano level to bring the gloss and reflections up another notch!!! Finally, a quick detailer to get that ultimate show room shine that will make all the neighbors jealous!!
- FINISH YOUR VEHICLE IN 15 MINUTES! - See why all our customers rave at how simple it is to use! This will be the quickest and easiest polishing job that you will ever do! Simply spray on, and wipe off; no professional guys needed! Easy to apply and super fast to use compared to all others on the market!! Even pro detailers are amazed at the results they're getting!
- WHAT IF I'M NOT HAPPY? - We believe that this is the ABSOLUTE BEST automotive seal coating on the market!! If you don't agree, there's no fine printing to read and no gimmicks here! Get in contact with us ANYTIME after your purchase and we will provide a FULL REFUND! So, what are you waiting for?! CLICK 'Add to Cart' NOW, 100% RISK FREE!
- EASY SCRATCH & SWIRL REPAIR - If your car has light scratches, swirls, or other marks - you can easily fix that with our Scratch & Swirl Remover Kit! Using the included buffer pad, our specially formulated compound will allow you to easily remove and "erase" years of wear and tear from your vehicles paint and overall appearance! (Please note if you have very deep scratches that can be easily felt with the tip of your fingernail the product may not help as much.)
- ULTIMATE PAINT RESTORER - Not only will this remove swirls and scratches, it will restore the gloss and shine of your paint and bring it back to its original brilliance! The special rubbing compound will remove water spots, oxidation and other contaminants from your paint! Easily buff it all out by hand with our included buffer pad!
- PREMIUM CHEMICALS - We formulate all our products to ensure they are the best! Professional grade, but easy enough for anyone to use! We use only the absolute best chemicals and ensure there are no unnecessary color dyes or scents! You get the best cutting polishing compound in a specifically formulated formula with a kit that lets you go right to work!
- SAFE FOR ALL PAINT COLORS - Our Ultimate Car Paint Scratch Repair Kit is safe to use on all paints and colors. You can safely use it on any clearcoat, single stage, or multi stage paint!
- CARFIDANTcare 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - Don't take our word that this is the best in car detailing products and car cleaning supplies, if you are not 100% satisfied we will refund you in full! We are professionals! We are enthusiasts! We spent years developing our professional automotive detailing products and believe in them 100%! We use them. Our friends use them. If you are not 100% satisfied with any of our products, we will give you a full refund! Send us a message!
- FORMULATED USING ADVANCED SCIENCE. Don't settle for an average ceramic car wax, our car wax spray is formulated using advanced science, with Brazilian Carnauba Wax to seal and polish and give your car a brilliant, protective shine.
- STREAK FREE & SAFE FOR ALL SURFACES. Shine Armor car wax is a superior car polish that won't leave streaks or residue behind, this hydrophobic spray wipes away clean to give your car ultimate shine.
- QUICK & CONVENIENT. Our spray wax for car is a convenient and quick way to give your car ultimate car paint protection. Simply spray on this car sealant and easily wipe it off for a showroom shine that will impress your neighbors.
- BRILLIANT SHINE. This quick and easy spray wax uses advanced technology to make your car look better than good. Our car shine spray is easy to apply and works at a nano level to enhance gloss and reflection and give your car a head-turning, brilliant shine.
- If you are unhappy with your carnuba wax, contact Shine Armor directly. We will make things right!
- EXCEPTIONAL RESULTS: Advanced technology formula provides a deep gloss and rich, swirl-free results
- NO MORE SWIRLS: Permanently removes swirls and light defects from all paint
- STUNNING SHINE: Produces deep reflections and high gloss
- EASY TO USE: Smooth buffing feel, easy wipe-off, and fast clean-up
- MULTIPLE WAYS TO APPLY: Formulated for use by Hand, DA Polisher, or Rotary Buffer
- REMOVE PAINT DEFECTS: The ultimate product for removing oxidation, scratches, water spots, and blemishes without scratching
- BEST CAR SCRATCH REMOVER: Cuts as fast as harsh abrasives restoring surface clarity without scratching or swirling
- SAVES TIME: The clear coat safe formula dramatically reduces the time and effort to restore abused or neglected paint finishes
- STUNNING FINISH: Exclusive micro-abrasive technology leaves a "like new" finish and adds gloss in one easy step
- SAFE FOR CLEAR COAT: Safe and effective on clear coat and single stage paints, and can be applied by hand or dual action polisher like Meguiar's MT300 Dual Action Polisher
- ONE EASY STEP: Formula delivers maximum synthetic protection, durability, depth of color, and reflectivity in this easy one step
- EFFORTLESS APPLICATION: Thin Film technology provides for easy application and wipe off even in full sun, and will not stain non-painted trim pieces white
- LONG-LASTING PROTECTION: Advanced synthetic polymers crosslink to form a long-lasting protective barrier while amplifying reflection for incredible depth and mirror-like shine
- WATER ROLLS RIGHT OFF PAINT: Hydrophobic Polymer technology increases surface tension to protect paint
- SAFE AND FLEXIBLE: Safe and effective on all glossy paints and clear coats, and can be applied by hand or dual action variable speed polisher like Meguiar's MT300 Dual Action Polisher
- Runs on random orbit at 4,400 orbits per minute for a swirl-free finish
- 10-foot cord accommodates car and boat polishing projects
- Includes a comfortable two-handle design
- Measures 13.8-by-6.2-by-8.6-inches; weighs 5.3-pounds
- Includes Black and Decker's 6-inch random orbit waxer/polisher, one foam applicator bonnet, two polishing bonnets
- Package Includes: 16pcs 3" Sponge Polishing Pads, 2pcs Woolen Buffer Pads, 2pcs Drill Adapter, 2pcs Suction Cup.
- Suitable: Used for all kinds of coat paints's waxing, polishing and sealing glaze, to clean and improve their lightness; And for auto car detail polishing. Adhesive backing, you can change pads just in seconds.
- High Quality: Prime quality wool pad, sponge pad, bendable, washable and reusable. Different colored sponges have different softness, you can choose as you need, suitable for polishing rough and small areas.
- Professional wool and foam pad buffing, polishing and finishing system. Efficient cutting and polishing the most difficult car oxidation coating, scratches. Can be used in pneumatic or electric polishing machine.
- All sponge polishing pads should be cleaned and leveled before use to ensure that there are no particles left. After use, polishers should be cleaned immediately and dried in a cool place.
- SAVE TIME & MONEY >> Gut Your Garage of Non-Effective, Overpriced Traditional Wax, Polish & Seal Products & Stop Overpaying for Professional Detailing Services!
- QUICKLY APPLY >> Within Minutes, Your Car Car Will Be Shining Like a Mirror and Protected From Hazardous Wear and Tear For Months!
- MULTI-PURPOSE >>Made for ALL Cars and Trucks, but Works for Motorcycles, Boats, Appliance Surfaces, and Airplanes (if you own one!)
- BULK ORDER & SAVE >> Get 10% OFF Any 2 Bottles, 15% OFF Any 3 Bottles, 25% OFF Any 6 Bottles (Discount Automatically Applies @ Checkout)
- RISK FREE 60-DAY GUARANTEE >>Torque Detail Stands Behind Every Bottle of Mirror Shine Made & Sold - Not Satisfied? Get a Full Refund within 60 Days!
Last update on 2019-09-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2019-09-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API