November 5, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V683000
An electrical short-circuit increases the risk of a fire.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V683
Components ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Potential Number of Units Affected 3,048
Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC (Land Rover) is recalling certain 2020 Land Rover Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque MHEV vehicles. The 48 volt electrical system may experience an overload event, causing a failure of the Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor (MOSFET) and result in a DCDC converter electrical short-circuit.
Land Rover will notify owners, and dealers will update the vehicle software, free of charge. Owners are advised to exit the vehicle when it is parked and park outside away from buildings or structures until the repair is complete. The recall began December 8, 2020. Owners may contact Land Rover customer service at 1-800-369-1000. Land Rover’s number for this recall is N503.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
DESCRIPTION OF DEFECT
A potential issue has been identified on certain Land Rover vehicles within the listed Affected Vehicle Range where an electrical overload event in the 48-Volt electrical system may cause a failure of the Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor (MOSFET).
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE
A total of 3,048 vehicles are potentially involved in the USA and Federalized Territories.
Model Year: ………….. 2020
VIN: ………………………… SALCM2GXXLH833819-SALCM2GX9LH877360
New Range Rover Evoque
Model Year: ………….. 2020
VIN: ………………………… SALZM2GX5LH000181-SALZM2GX6LH114934
Visit the British Brands Sales Suite (BBSS) website for a list of affected vehicles at your retailer.
EFFECT ON VEHICLE OPERATION
Failure of the MOSFET may cause an electrical cascade failure, causing the Direct Current to Direct Current (DC/DC) converter to experience an electrical short where the 12-Volt circuit shorts to ground. When the DC/DC converter experiences an electrical short to ground, the 12-Volt electrical system will discharge, indicated by the battery warning tell-tale on the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC). In extreme cases, the vehicle occupants may notice a burning smell and/or smoke from the DC/DC converter vent in to the passenger compartment.
Where sufficient oxygen exists, a sustained vehicle fire may occur.
SERVICE PROGRAM / REWORK ACTION
Owners will be notified by mail and instructed to take their vehicle to an authorized Land Rover retailer to install the latest software which mitigates the electrical failure condition.
There will be no charge for this repair under this program.
ACTION TO BE TAKEN
Retailers are required to HOLD affected new vehicles that are within your control and refrain from releasing the vehicles for new vehicle sale pending completion of the rework action. Affected vehicles already in the hands of customers should be updated at the next available opportunity. Until the affected vehicles, including those under retailer control, receive these updates, it is strongly recommended that all occupants, including pets, exit the vehicle when parked. Vehicles should be parked outdoors and away from buildings or multi-storey carparks where possible.
Jaguar Land Rover North America recommends that affected sales demonstrator and loaner vehicles are repaired before use and that used vehicles are repaired before sale. Retailers who choose to proceed against this recommendation, where legally permitted, must clearly and conspicuously disclose the open recall to the applicable customers.
Refer to Technical Bulletin N503NAS, SAFETY RECALL: Software Updates, for detailed repair instructions.
TECHNICAL Q & A: SAFETY RECALL N503
Main Message: An electrical overload event in the 48-Volt electrical system may cause a failure of the Metal Oxide Semiconductor Failure of the MOSFET may cause an electrical cascade failure, causing the Direct Current to Direct Current (DC/DC) converter to experience an electrical short where the 12-Volt circuit shorts to ground.
Q1 Who do I contact if a member of the press contacts me about this recall?
Where there is a permanent 12V short to ground condition, it is possible that heat build-up may be sufficient for a burning smell and/or smoke from the DC/DC converter vent in to the passenger compartment to occur. Where sufficient oxygen exists, it may lead to a sustained vehicle fire.
Q3 Can you tell me more about what is wrong with the vehicles?
An electrical overload event in the 48V electrical system may cause a failure of the MOSFET. Failure of the MOSFET may cause an electrical cascade failure, causing the DC/DC converter to experience an electrical short where the 12V circuit shorts to ground. When the DC/DC converter experiences an electrical short to ground, the 12V electrical system will discharge, indicated by the battery warning lamp on the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC).
Q4 How would the customer become aware of potentially having this concern?
Customer should notice the battery warning lamp illuminated on the IPC.
Q5 Does this concern affect vehicle safety?
Yes, we consider this an unreasonable risk to safety and have issued a voluntary safety recall for the affected vehicles.
There have been a very small number of reports of this issue.
Q7 Have there been any accidents or injuries?
Q8 How was the condition discovered?
The issue was detected through internal quality assurance checks.
Investigations into this issue started in December 2019.
Q10 Is the defect leading you to any concerns regarding the reliability of a system, which is supposed to be designed and engineered for the passengers’ safety? What type of measures are you planning to take?
We have no concerns with the overall reliability of the vehicle. Jaguar Land Rover carefully monitors field data to ensure that any matters relating to safety and compliance are rigorously investigated.
Production vehicles have the latest level of software installed.
Q12 What will an authorized Land Rover retailer do to the vehicles?
Q13 Which vehicles are affected by this recall?
No other models, other than those listed on this document, are known to be affected by this condition.
Q15 Are parts available to rework vehicles?
Yes, the necessary software is available for authorized Land Rover retailers to conduct this repair.
Cost was not a factor in deciding to recall these vehicles.
Q17 How do I know if my vehicle is affected?
All owners of potentially affected vehicles will shortly receive a letter inviting them to contact an authorized Land Rover retailer for the work to be carried out.
Q18 How long does it take for the vehicle to be inspected and repaired?
The work will be carried out as quickly and efficiently as possible to minimize inconvenience to customers and is expected to take no longer than 30 minutes. Due to retailer schedules, vehicles may be required for longer.
Q19 Can I continue to drive my vehicle safely until it has been recalled?
Customers are advised to contact an authorized Land Rover retailer should they have any concerns regarding their vehicles.
A potential issue has been identified on certain vehicles within the listed Affected Vehicle Range where an electrical overload event in the 48-Volt electrical system may cause a failure of the Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor (MOSFET).
Failure of the MOSFET may cause an electrical cascade failure, causing the Direct Current to Direct Current converter (DC/DC) to experience an electrical short where the 12-Volt circuit shorts to ground. When the DC/DC experiences an electrical short to ground, the 12-Volt electrical system will discharge, indicated by the battery warning tell-tale on the Instrument Cluster. In extreme cases, the vehicle occupants may notice a burning smell and/or smoke from the DC/DC vent into the passenger compartment.
Where sufficient oxygen exists, a sustained vehicle fire may occur.
Retailers are required to HOLD affected new vehicles that are within your control and refrain from releasing the vehicles for new vehicle sale pending completion of the procedure(s) detailed in this Technical Bulletin. Unsold vehicles should have this performed as part of the Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) process but must have it completed prior to vehicle handover to the customer.
Affected vehicles already in the hands of customers should be updated at the next available opportunity.
All ignition ON/OFF requests MUST be performed; failure to do so may cause damage to vehicle control modules.
Follow all on-screen instructions.
1. Select ‘N503 – Software Updates’ from the campaigns menu.
2. Follow the on-screen instructions until the application finishes successfully.
Only if required: set the vehicle to Transit mode.
1. Follow the on-screen instructions until the application finishes successfully.
Exit the current session.
Disconnect the diagnostic equipment and battery support unit from the
573.6 (c) (6) – Chronology of Events for N503:
A Product Safety and Compliance Committee (PSCC) Investigation was opened on December 03, 2019, following a report of a vehicle fire at the Halewood vehicle assembly plant. The PSCC requested engineering to conduct an investigation, including vehicle testing to replicate the failure and determine the root cause and scope of the issue.
During the 1st half of 2020 the engineering team undertook various experiments to seek to replicate the Halewood incident using testing rigs. Engineering reported back to the PSCC through February and March and informed the committee the failure mode requires a number of unique conditions and failure was not likely during normal vehicle operation. The engineering team also informed the PSCC they were focusing their investigation into the DCDC converter.
In late March 2020, the PSCC requested the engineering team to replicate the issue on a vehicle in order to fully understand the issue and its effects on the vehicle. Concurrently, the PSCC requested the parts supplier to conduct a thorough investigation into the DCDC convertor issue.
The engineering team reported back to the PSCC in April and May 2020, where the focus of the investigation into possible causes expanded to several components of the vehicle: the MOSFET, the Battery Energy Control Module (BECM), the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), and the DCDC converter. The engineering team also informed the PSCC of the difficulty in replicating the voltage overload condition known to be required to trigger the cascade electrical failure. The PSCC instructed the engineering team to continue to investigate the possible causes of the issue.
The PSCC reviewed the issue during July, August and September.
The PSCC further reviewed the concern on October 27, 2020, where detailed explanations about the possible causes and analysis on the effects to the vehicle, the scope of the population was discussed. Assessment as to the emergence of any pattern and trend of the issue was also reviewed. Engineering confirmed that all lines of technical investigation had been exhausted, the PSCC progressed the issue to the Recall Determination Committee (RDC).
The RDC reviewed all information available on October 29, 2020 and concluded that the issue represented an unreasonable risk to safety and a voluntarily safety recall be conducted to download the latest software to the vehicles.
There have been a limited number of reports outside of the United States.
2 Affected Products
|LAND ROVER||DISCOVERY SPORT||2020|
|LAND ROVER||RANGE ROVER EVOQUE||2020|
12 Associated Documents
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)- SAFETY RECALL N503 (NHTSA 20V-683) – SOFTWARE UPDATESRCMN-20V683-7529
Recall 573 Report – Amendment 1RCLRPT-20V683-4687
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2020-4RCLQRT-20V683-6844
Remedy Instructions and TSB
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)RCONL-20V683-2262
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)- Second Notification
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)- SAFETY RECALL N503 (NHTSA 20V-683) – SOFTWARE UPDATESRCMN-20V683-6112
Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2021-1RCLQRT-20V683-6298
Defect Notice 573 ReportRCLRPT-20V683-4387
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2021-2RCLQRT-20V683-7454
Latest Recalls Documents
- 6X Faster Charging - This product is designed to make EV charging quick and effortless. Compact and durable, it is the perfect charging cable for home use. Its 28ft cable is extra-long to fit most driveways or garages. The NEMA 14-50 Plug has an input power of 240V. You may attach it to a 240V outlet for Level 2 charging.
- ONE CABLE FITS ALL - Utilizing the standard J1772 charging protocol, this charging cable is compatible with all electric cars and plug-in hybrid vehicles. It is perfect for users who own more than one electric vehicle or buildings with docks for EV charging.
- BUILT TO LAST - The Ezgogo 240V 32 Amp Level 2 Electric Vehicle (EV) Charger with 28ft Extension Cord J1772 Cable and NEMA 14-50 Plug is made of high-grade, rugged materials which can last over long periods of time. It provides its users with shock protection and safety while charging in wet conditions.
- Charging Safety - Upgrade the Power Tuner Chip to Fully Protect Cp Abnormal, over Temperature, over Power, Leakage, over Voltage, Low Voltage, Short Circuit, Lightning Strike. Protect Your Family and Car.
- IP66 Level Protection - the Ezgogo Ev Charger Level 2 Material is Rated to an Advanced IP66 Level of Protection Against Rain, Ice, Snow and Dust. It Can Be Used Effectively Even in Harsh Environments.
- 【Trusted company】Autel has been making automotive intelligent diagnostic, inspection, and analysis products since 2004. The MaxiCharger AC Home was developed over 2 years from a full team of designers and engineers to bring you the safest, smartest, and one of the best looking chargers on the market.
- 【High speed Charging】With 12kW up to 50A charging, speed will never be an issue. Add 37 miles per charging hour. Don't waste time waiting on your EV to fully charge with slower chargers. An included 25-Foot durable cable is the perfect size for convenience and to keep your charge time stable.
- 【CSA Certified & NEMA Type 4】Eligible for the Federal rebate program. With NEMA Type 4 you are protected in any type of weather including snow, rain, hail, and sleet. Hang it up outside your house or inside a garage and it will operate efficiently. Fire resistant, over current, over voltage, and over temperature protection. Your level 2 charger will run better and last longer, saving you money in the long term.
- 【Smart APP Control】Use Autel Charge APP to control your charger and manage charge times, schedule charging while you're away, and optimize your charging to take advantage of off peak electricity. Bluetooth enabled, Wi-Fi connectivity, and Ethernet access make sure your automatic over the air (OTA) remote firmware updates keep you connected at the times you need.
- 【3 Year Warranty and 24/7 Support】The MaxiCharger is easy for any electrician to install. A 3-year warranty, APP automatic updates, and around-the-clock support from Autel's service team means you'll never have to worry about quality and service.
- UL AND ENERGY STAR CERTIFIED LEVEL 2 EV CHARGER. DEFAULT CHARGE RATE is 40A. WiFi Internet connection is required to raise or lower charge rate. Pair with an Emporia Vue Smart Home Energy Monitor to automatically charge only with excess solar power and curb charging during peak demand.
- UL LISTED WITH YOUR SAFETY IN MIND. Manufactured to meet the safety criteria defined by these industry standards: NEC 625, SAE J1772, UL 817, UL 991, UL 2231, UL 2251, and UL 2594. INSTALLS INDOORS OR OUTDOORS. Your charger will be safe from the elements with a rugged watertight NEMA Type 4 enclosure. Check with your state and local company to see if there are incentives and rebates in your area. PROTECTED BY A 3-YEAR WARRANTY.
- HARDWIRED OR PLUGGED INSTALLATION - 11.5kW (240V/48A) / 9.6kW (240V/40A) / 10kW (208V/48A) / 8.3kW (208V/40A) (up to 48A hardwired or up to 40A NEMA Type 14-50P with 22" cable compliant with 2017 NEC Section 625.17(A)(3)). Requires a dual-pole, dedicated breaker at 60A+ for a 48A charge or 50A+ for a 40A charge. A professional electrician is recommended for hardwiring or installing a NEMA Plug.
- COMPATIBLE WITH ANY EV. The charger comes with a SAE J1772 connector (adapter required for Tesla EVs) and a 24' cable with integrated cable management.
- REAL-TIME ENERGY DATA: REQUIRES 2.4 GHz WIFI WITH AN INTERNET CONNECTION to monitor energy use and charging sessions with iPhone / Android / Web Browser app. Schedule charging with app. Easily manage the parameters to handle variable utility rate charges.
- UNIVERSAL COMPATIBILITY Works with all brand EV and PHEVs : but for Toyota Prius & RAV4 please call us first for special non standard J1772 plugs. Up to 4 times FASTER CHARGING speed PRIMECOM Level 2 chargers function at 16 Amps working within an automatic range of 100V-240V works with all brand EVs & PHEVs & Plug-in Hybrids. This 16 Amp model charges at 3.84kw/hour giving upto 15 miles of range per hour! If you need 40/ 50-feet length 32/40Amp chargers
- INTELLIGENT CHIP -PRIMECOMTECH designs its own SMART chargers electronic circuitry-intelligent Chip & software here in the USA, unlike other chargers which dump all the current at once. PRIMECOMTECH EV Chargers communicate with your EV via the data connection port to gather 6 different types of data such as, ambient and battery temperature, EVs current battery level, Battery Capacity, etc. to automatically adjust the voltage to get the longer / most life expectancy from your battery.
- SAFE AND SECURE - Primecom Level 2 Chargers have passed multi point rigorous tests to ensure quality and safety measures. T V German Equipment and Product Safety Certification, CE️ certifications, UL️ Listed Cable Certifications, along with 12 other built in safety features such as, lightning-proof, leakage protection, overvoltage, overheat, overcurrent protection, UL94V-0 rating flame resistance, IP65 rating waterproof and are safe to use outdoors for snow, rain, dust...
- High-Speed Charging: When compared to the stock 8A level 1 charger, MEGEAR Skysword EV Charger is 3 times as fast with NEMA 6-20, leaving you with more time to get back on the road in your EV.
- Reliability to the Fullest: Our smart-chip detection system in MEGEAR Skysword electric vehicle charger can detect all aspects of the charging progress, including overheating, current overflow, power surge, low voltage, power overload, leakage to ensure safety and protection.
- Compatible with all EVs: MEGEAR Skysword ev charging station is compatible to all SAE J1772 standard electric vehicles and Tesla models (via SAE J1772 Charging Adapter).
- LED Indicator: Indicator on the back of MEGEAR Skysword portable EV Charger displays charging progress and errors.
- Warranty Information: All products come with a 2-Year Limited Warranty and Life-time technical support. If the product is damaged or lost the accessories during transportation, please contact us in time. We will resend replacement or accessories for you immediately.
- Level 2, 240 volt electric vehicle (EV) charging station charges any EV up to 9X faster than a normal wall outlet, with flexible amperage settings up to 50 amps (16/24/32/40/48/50 Amp) and plug-in or hardwired installation. Use the ChargePoint app to pick the right amperage for your home after installation.
- Works with all electric cars, tested on leading EV models: Chevrolet Volt and Bolt EV, Hyundai Kona and Ioniq, Kia NIRO, Nissan LEAF, Tesla models, Toyota Prius Prime, BMW i3, Honda Clarity, Chrysler Pacifica, Jaguar I-PACE, and many more
- Charge faster and smarter with the ChargePoint app. Set a schedule to only charge when electricity is cheapest, set reminders so you never forget to plug in, use Alexa voice control, and see all your ChargePoint charging data in one place
- Safe and reliable, with a 3-year backed by 24/7 customer support from a company dedicated to EV charging for 10+ years. UL listed for electrical safety, ENERGY STAR certified for efficiency.
- Easy for any electrician to install indoors or out. Plug-in installation with NEMA 6-50 or 14-50 outlet (6-50 currently selected) requires circuits rated 40A or 50A. For other circuit ratings, including 60A-80A for 48A-50A charging, the plug is easily removed for hardwired installation. Select the amperage that works best for you and your home, helping to avoid electrical upgrades.
- MAXIMUM POWER: The Schumacher SEV1600HW employs 240V Level 2 charging with up to 50A of power
- 9X FASTER CHARGING: Enjoy the convenience of faster Level 2 EV charging at home with charging speeds that are up to nine times faster than standard wall outlet
- CONFIGURABLE CURRENT: The Schumacher SEV1600HW has configurable current, from 16A to 50A, that can be adjusted during installation to your home’s power system
- BUILT-IN CONVENIENCE: The interchangeable dock lets you store the charging gun on either side of the unit to suit your needs and cord management is simple with the included cable cradle
- EXTRA-LONG CHARGING CABLE: An extended 25-foot charging cable gives you flexibility, allowing you to easily reach multiple garage bays or your home’s driveway; It makes charging multiple EVs easy
- CHARGES ALL EVs & PHEVs: Fully compatible with all Electric Vehicles and Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles sold in the United States and Canada. Including: Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, Ford Fusion, BMW i3, Chevy Volt, Toyota Prius, Tesla (with adapter).
- SUPER FAST CHARGING & EASY INSTALLATION: Charges up to 8x Faster than Standard AC Level 1 EV chargers for an additional estimated 25-35 miles of Range Per Hour. Engineered for ease of Installation with a Standard NEMA 6-50 plug and universal mounting bracket.
- SAFETY RATED & TESTED: Designed and tested to meet the nationally recognized UL (USA) & cUL (Canada) standards for safety. A must-have for electrical products installed in your home. NEMA 4 rated for Indoor/Outdoor use in all weather.
- ADJUSTABLE AMPERAGE & MODERN COMPACT DESIGN: Adjust the Max Current Output (32A, 24A, 16A) to Support Multiple Circuit Ratings (40A, 30A, 20A). Install in more locations with a slim, compact & modern design.
- EVERYTHING YOU NEED INCLUDED: One low price, no need to purchase other items. Includes: charging unit w/ 18 foot cable, NEMA 6-50 plug, universal mounting bracket, plug holster & user manual.
- Faster Charging Speed: VEVOR 16A level 1+2 portable EV charger is designed to make EV charging quick and effortless. This EV portable charger with NEMA 6-20 plug could charge your car 4x faster than other 8A level 1 EV chargers you have used before. The actual charging speed depends on the settings of your electric vehicle.
- Excellent Protection: The portable level 1+2 charger features an intelligent chip to provide lightning / leakage / grounding / over voltage / under voltage / over charge / over current / overheat protection. With CE certification, IP65 control box and an IP54 EV connector to secure your car charging.
- LED Indicator Lights: The LED indicator lights on the control box show four different status: read to connect to vehicle, charging, full charged, see troubleshooting. Help you identify the EV charger's working condition and let you know the relevant charging information. It alerts you if a fault is discovered, allowing you to manage the problem immediately.
- Portable & Convenient: Provide a fireproof NEMA 5-15P to 6-20R adapter, 12 gauge SWG indoor/outdoor heavy-duty cord. The 22-7/16 inch length is 100% longer than other adapters, making it stand out from the rest. There is also a portable bag, both are fine products.
- Universal Compatibility: The EV charger is compatible with most electric vehicles and plug-in hybrid vehicles that comply with the J1772 standard. Perfect for users who own more than one electric vehicle or buildings with docks for EV charging. When traveling or visiting relatives and friends, you don't have to worry about charging again.
- Level 2 EV Charging: The MaxiCharger Home is a 240 Volt electric vehicle (EV) charging station that can charge any EV or plug-in hybrid up to 9X faster than a Level 1 (120 Volt) regular outlet charger. The ev charger power output range of 6 amps up to 50 amps allows you to choose the charging speed that fits your lifestyle and home.
- Smart and Convenient Mobile App: Manage your charging easily, intelligently, and insightfully. The advanced Autel Charge mobile app allows you to track, manage, schedule, and optimize smart EV charging anytime to take advantage of off-peak electricity rates.
- Efficient Connectivity: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and Ethernet connectivity options ensure automatic OTA (over-the-air) firmware updates and seamless connectivity and communication with your mobile device. The optional start and stop RFID card functionality can prevent unauthorized use.
- Durable and Safe: The MaxiCharger's durable 25-foot cable, sturdy construction, and high-grade materials provide maximum weather resistance. A NEMA 4 protection rating, and certification by CSA testing labs, provide safe and reliable indoor and outdoor usage in any climate. Equipped with a 20mA CCID to protect you from overvoltage.
- 3 Year Warranty and 24/7 Support: The MaxiCharger NEMA plug units are easily installed by a licensed electrician. Qualifies for local rebates and incentives with UL and CSA safety certifications performed by a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL). A 3-year warranty, automatic updates, and around-the-clock support from Autel's best-in-class customer service team will ensure a smooth and effortless onboarding and charging experience.
Last update on 2022-12-31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.